The present owners, Centurion, want to demolish 15 North Street (Timpsons) and open up the view of Puget’s Cottage.
BOTH ARE LISTED BUILDINGS. THE REAL REASON IS TO OPEN UP A NEW ENTRANCE TO THE LANES. C17 PUGET’S COTTAGE, 15 NORTH STREET (TIMPSONS) ARE PRE 1770. THE GUTTER AND PAVIORED PASSAGE PRE 1840 HAVE ALL BEEN LISTED GRADE II BY ENGLISH HERITAGE, FOLLOWING EXTENSIVE RESEARCH CARRIED OUT BY THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS SOCIETY. ALL ARE ON THE HANNINGTON LANE AND BRIGHTON SQUARE DEVELOPMENT SITE.
PUGET’S COTTAGE, BUILT ON AN ANGO-SAXON PAULPIECE, IS PROBABLY THE OLDEST STRUCTURE IN THE OLD TOWN AND RELATES TO BRIGHTHELMSTONE’S FISHING OR FARMING USE. THE NORTH WEST PART OF THE COTTAGE, IS CONSTRUCTED OF UNUSUALLY LARGE COBBLES AND SOME IRONSTONE WHICH WERE NOT LOCAL TO THE AREA, BUT USED AS BALLAST BY SHIPS AND DISCARDED ON THE BEACH, WHERE IT COULD BE COLLECTED BY LOCAL BUILDERS.
Budgen’s 1778 map shows a large garden which appears to be cultivated as a market garden. The curved shape of the site, shown in the curve to the nothern wall of Puget’s cottage, is a rare survival of a strip field known as a ‘paulpiece’ which pre-dates the mid C18 and later alteration and subdivision of these strips into a grid by Georgian developers. Puget’s cottage is a rare example of an old town building pre-dating Brighton’s devlopment as as a seaside resort.
15 NORTH STREET IS TIMBER FRAMED, THE OLDEST STRUCTURE IN NORTH STREET, AND HAS BEEN IN CONTINUOUS COMMERCIAL USE SINCE THE 1790s.
15 North Street and the adjacent paved twitten would be demolished under the present proposals to provide a further entrance into the Hannington Lane and Brighton square site and be replaced by a slimmer contemporary building. This cannot now go ahead.
The Centurion Group and West Register, part of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group, have proposed a scheme in the heart of Brighton’s Old Town. The application site is located in the Old Town between North Street, Meeting House Lane and Brighton Place. It includes Hannington’s service yard and department store, Brighton Square and some of the buildings in the north-west corner of Brighton Place.
West Register were seeking consent to build a new lane between Brighton Place and Meeting House Lane, in the old Hannington’s Department Store service yard, with a new link to North Street. This scheme has now been scotched by the listing of C17th Puget’s Cottage built on an old anglo-saxon pall piece, probably the oldest structure in The Lanes, 15 North Street (Timpson’s) and the gutter and paviored twitten and yard. Effectively this whole area is now proteced from demolition.
Centurion are intending to refurbish Brighton Square and are creating a new boutique hotel. We welcome the planting of semi-mature trees in Brighton Square and the new flats above the existing 2 storeys of flats around the Square. The Bright0n Society particularly welcomes the scale of this development which relates well to the scale of the Old Town.